Friday, 18 April 2014

A Day in Amsterdam

Last week I had a free day of work and since it was a while ago I visited Amsterdam we decided to spend the day over there. From my hometown to Amsterdam is only 45 minutes by train, so close by! During the day I took some pictures, but sometimes I forgot to take out my camera, but here is an impression of a lovely day!


We were walking around and stumbled upon a book market at a small square behind Spui. 
I love old books and magazines! 




There are many houses in Amsterdam that are somewhat askew, like this very small house in De 9 Straatjes.  


Every time we go to Amsterdam we must eat at Pancakes! Amsterdam. The place is quite small and mostly there is a queue outside but it is certainly worth the waiting! The 'poffertjes', which are the smaller little pancakes, are heavenly! So was the rest! We ordered a cheese, spinach and mushroom one and a apple, cinnamon and nut mix pancake. 

 
After finishing everything (yes, really, our plates were literally empty) we decided to do something cultural. The Rijksmuseum has re-opened after 10 years of renovation and is certainly worth a visit. 


Of course we had to see (and with us many other visitors) the masterpiece ' Nachtwacht' of Rembrandt van Rijn. It was extremely crowded at the painting and it was a challenge to take a picture.


Look at this amazing library! I feel like I am in a Harry Potter movie! 


Shoes from the 15th century


 A YSL dress inspired by Dutch painter Piet Mondriaan. It is designed in the 1950s.


After walking around for a few hours we decided it was time for dinner. We heard about a place at Waterlooplein; 'Woo Bros' and decided to give it a try. Oh men, why did we not visit this place earlier! They have amazing food and too much choice. We went for the shoft shell crab sushi roll (which is definitely my favourite)


Salmon sashimi with avocado and ginger-soy dressing 


Tuna tataki and a few other dishes but we finished those before I could take a picture. After dinner we went back home. Of course we did some shopping as well but I will show you that in another post! 



14 comments:

  1. I hope so much to go to Amsterdam , would like to see this library , it's soo ..whoaa :)

    http://ohdebow.blogspot.fr/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, so beautiful! I'm a fan of books, and art. Piet Mondrian is an artist I admire tremendously! I wrote about him in this post :http://inspiremyfancy.blogspot.com/2013/01/mondrian-inspired.html, check it out if you get a chance. :)) Have a wonderful weekend!

    xx,
    Tania
    http://inspiremyfancy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment! I will certainly check out your post! xx

      Delete
  3. Danielle, that was the perfect day! No wonder we get along. I love everything you do. I wish I would've been there with you. I love old books and magazines also. Gosh those vintage mags are fab. I LOVE pancakes and those are the cutest. SO interesting looking at those old shoes. What a day! Glad you had a great time :)
    http://www.averysweetblog.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your sweet comment! When you are ever in Amsterdam, let me know!!

      Delete
  4. Oh wow, what a great trip to Amsterdam! The place looks really amazing, especially the architectures. :)

    Take care always, love Christine ~ xo
    www.chriissydollxo.com
    BLOG | BLOGLOVIN' | TWITTER | FACEBOOK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, Amsterdam is lovely!

      Delete
  5. I've never been! Looks really cool X

    www.carlaginola.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow beautiful pictures!! Such a great place! :)

    Kisses
    Charu
    http://www.myglossyaffair.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this post. Your photography is amazing.

    Beth x
    TheBritishGirl.co.uk

    ReplyDelete